Hamburg's largest research centre is open for everybody and invites you to a guided tour. No special physics knowledge is required.
Visiting DESY in Hamburg
A DESY visit lasts between 2.5 and 3 hours. The tour begins with an introductory lecture, after which the visitors are guided around the DESY premises in small groups. Models and exhibits further illustrate research at DESY.
Please make your reservation as early as possible.
Tours for groups between 10 (minimum) and 60 (maximum) people:
Monday till Friday
at 10:30 and 14:00
Tours for the general public:
Every first Saturday of the month at 10:00 (German only)
DESY, main entrance, Notkestrasse 85
Individual visitors and smaller groups are invited to either participate in the tour for the general public, or join a group tour.
Public relations (PR):
Monday till Friday
from 09:00 to 15:00
Tel.: +49 40 8998-3613
Fax: +49 40 8998-4307
Itinerary of a DESY tour
- Total time: 2.5 to 3 hours
- Introductory lecture (about 45 minutes)
- Tour around the DESY site in one or more groups (walking is necessary, partly outdoors). Models and exhibits further illustrate research at DESY.
- Young physicists working at DESY for their diploma and Ph.D. thesis will hold the introductory lecture and guide the tour.
- Information leaflets and brochures are available at the end of the tour.
- The DESY canteen is open for visitors from 13:30 and serves meals at your own expense. The canteen is well frequented and we recommend booking your lunch in advance.
The DESY visit is recommended for students in the final years of secondary education, especially for those who attended advanced courses in physics.
Things you should know
The DESY tour is free of charge and at your own peril. DESY assumes no liability. Please note that the tours are not suitable for visitors less than 16 years of age.