Help On Mosaic v0.7
If you have accessed this document from the Help On Version menu
selection in X Mosaic, you are
using version 0.7.
Version 0.7 includes the following changes from version 0.6:
- Personal only (until smart servers get written).
- Automatic inlining of annotation pointers into documents.
- Annotations automatically persistent across sessions (naturally).
- Annotations are subsequently editable/removable.
- Lots of neat GUI things.
- Underlined anchors! You're gonna love this.
- 0, 1, 2, or 3 underlines for each of unvisited and previously
visited anchor types.
- Solid or dashed underlines for each of unvisited and previously
visited anchor types.
- Application exits when all windows are closed.
- Support for <menu> and <dir>.
- Better support for nested lists (filled bullets, empty bullets, empty boxes).
- Better selection capabilities:
- Select by character.
- New resource, fancySelections: if true, selections will be "pretty-printed" when
pasted into a normal X window (with underlined headers, bullets for lists, etc.).
This is modifiable per-window from the menubar also.
- Additional command-line argument: free-standing URL will be
used as home document, and overrides all other specifications
(including WWW_HOME, X resource homeDocument, and -home flag).
Is that enough ways to specify the home document??? :-)
- Additional command-line flag -mono, for getting black&white fallback X defaults...
you mono people out there are gonna have to let me know if I'm providing a decent set of
mono resources. Should there be a distinction between -mono and -greyscale??
- Middle button button in scrolled lists is now equivalent of double-clicking with
- Performance enhancement for history window's future list.
- Fix for gopher connection port usage.
- Fix for proper gopher and WAIS document titles.
- Temporary fix to access Supreme Court documents on
Cornell Law School server (if manager of that server is
out there, please contact me -- you have a problem).
- Option menu for document title/url display at top of window.
- Cute icons in upper right-hand corner of windows for quick
- Previous search keyword is trimmed correctly.
- Search keyword remains in text field until search is complete.
- New 'Clear Global History' option (to revert all anchors
back to the unvisited color).
- Fixed bug in hotlist geometry layout.
- Lots of new resources:
- Tabs now behave absolutely properly in preformatted text.
- Fixed premature signal setup causing coredump when
ctrl-c was hit during startup.
- Hotlist is saved every time it's changed, to avoid
- Busy cursor is used more often, as it should be.
- Better handling of telnet/xterm functions (forked into
background; browser never lands on 'telnet' document).
- Ghostview runs in background now.
- Changed application class name to 'XMosaic' for consistency.
- Minor bugfixes and cleanups.
Version 0.7 contains a few minor problems that will soon be fixed, which I've
mostly discovered by using X servers other than my SGI Indigo... different systems,
These glitches are known and will soon be fixed. (For a fairly exhaustive
list of known problems and targeted future functionality, see the
- Colors should be lighter, by default. DONE.
- Text fields should explicitly be set to start display at first character. DONE.
- Annotating plaintext files doesn't work. PENDING.
- Font specifications should be changed to work across more platforms. PENDING.
- Underline doesn't work on some fonts (Lucida). PENDING.
- Telnet didn't work under AIX. DONE.
Information on other versions of X Mosaic is here.
General information on X Mosaic is available here.